Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Carroll? (Enough said....well sort of)

 
Andy Carroll Joined Liverpool from Newcastle January 31st
The mad dash made by Liverpool to obtain a striker after Torres left for Chelsea ended with Newcastle's Andy Carroll moving to Anfield for a fee of £35m. Though the figure may indeed be to high for the English forward he is excellent through the air, and shows an extraordinary amount of potential. Like Torres he was all about his club and his fans were all about him. Newcastle was his hometown club and his success at the club lead them into the Premier League.

Carroll is no stranger to controversy, so it seems fitting that soon after the deal was done reports came out about a text message conversation he had with Steve Wraith, who then had it published. Carroll was quoted as saying things like "I'm gutted to be leaving my home town club, I was told to go. I didn't want to leave that's why I signed a 5 year deal. I was pushed out of the door."

"(Managing Director) Derek asked me to hand in a transfer request, so I was pushed into a corner and had no choice. I wasn't wanted by them and they made it clear they wanted the money. Then I flew down in helicopter. I didn't want to leave. I'm gutted that I wasn't wanted at my home team after everything I have done and the progress I have made. I didn't want to leave at all. Make sure they know I didn't want to leave. The players, staff and fans were fantastic.''
Andy Carroll playing for Newcastle against Chelsea

These comments can only make what have been an already bad week for Liverpool fans much worse. One of your new strikers, instead of saying comments about the hard work he intends to do at his new club, is saying he would rather be where he came from. Newcastle have denied Carrolls claims saying he handed in his transfer request, after he had threatened to leave the club over a new contract. Both stories seem weird, and its a mystery that may never be uncovered.  The best thing for Carroll to do is get to work. He could have a fabulous career an Liverpool. He and Suarez could be a perfect fit, with Carroll being powerful in the air and Suarez making decisive runs into the box and cutting up the defense. To be honest I think Liverpool might just be better off, but that all depends on Carroll and his attitude. The potential is there.  Can Dalglish shape it into something great?
The only thing left for Liverpool to do is control their two new signings who have histories with off the pitch problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment